Friday, January 22, 2010

Before They're Famous

Every once in a while, we meet people that inspire us, people that drive us, people that make us want to be better. In other words, the future world-shakers. Well, in the case of the Garcia family, there happen to be two world-shakers, Frank and Alex. Today, we'll focus on Frank (simply because of chronology). For those of you that don't know Frank, you should be upset that your paths haven't crossed yet. An NYU student studying Music Composition for Film and Media, Frank is in the heart of the creative entertainment industry, not to mention the fashion capital of the world, New York City. My three favorite things about Frank? His fearlessness to test limits, his uniquely creative sense of style, and his ability to give me an ab workout with how damn funny he is.
I know you're all curious to get to know Frank, so enjoy our interview:

Little Black Blog: Tell me a little bit about your internship.
Frank Garcia: I'm working at Paramount Pictures in New York doing publicity. It's been an incredible year. The office is right in Times Square in the MTV building and the people I work for are awesome. I'm the only intern in the national department so I feel like I'm really getting to know everyone and do more than just stapling and filing. I get to do research and find press contacts and work at film screenings and even meet the occasional celeb! It's a dream internship.

LBB: What does your daily life consist of?
FG: Hm, well, I have work and class 5 days a week so that keeps me pretty busy, but as long as I feel like I've done something even remotely productive that day on my own, I'm pretty happy. Usually, that means practicing piano - but more often than not, it's finding the shoes I've been looking for for three months.

LBB: Describe your personal style.
FG: Here's my philosophy on style: I don't care what anyone says, you are judged based on the way you dress on a daily basis, so it's important that you're aware of the image you convey, so take it seriously. That being said, it should be fun too! Otherwise we'd all be drab and severe looking. Personally, I love a sleek NYC/Parisian look. My go-to store is Club Monaco or Dior Homme. Their clothing is classic and yet anything but stale. I hate to blend into the blah-clothing-monotony but I also don't want to look like I'm trying way too hard and look ridiculous. I find the best way to avoid both extremes is to buy well cut, high quality pieces that speak for themselves. Add a little hipster flare (a symptom of being an NYU student living in the East Village) and I think that about sums me up!

LBB: Who do you consider the most influential person in your life?
FG: The most influencial person in my life, besides you, would have to be my sister. She's my best friend and I like to think we've grown up together, not just in the same house as a lot of siblings do, but actually learned from each other along the way.

LBB: Where do you find the wonderful pieces your closet consists of?
FG: My latest additions to my closet: a pair of suede desert boots from Saks, a few plaid buttondowns from Uniqlo (so cheap, so good), a long oversized cardigan from Top Man that I'm a little obsessed with, a new pair of Ray Ban Wayfarers, and more cashmere sweaters than anyone should own.
My staples: I always wear a few pieces of jewlery that are meaningful to me. I don't care about matching gold to gold or silver to silver really. I think of them more like tattoos than accessories because I wear them not to complete an outfit, but as a part of me. Clothing wise I have a collection of things I bought while traveling that I always try to wear. I'm absolutely addicted to traveling so whenever I go somewhere new I buy a piece of art that I can always keep as a momento, and some kind of clothing that I can wear to remind me of the place. The last thing I bought was a pair of custom strappy leather sandals from a shoemaker in Athens Greece.
By now, I'm sure you're dying to see Frank's style. Your wish is granted:




For anyone interested, Frank will be modelling in the Fusion Fashion Show in New York City the first weekend of March. Tickets are $10, and I'll be selling tickets shortly.
(More on Fusion in another post!)

Thanks for interviewing, Frank! Love, love, love!

xox
LBB

No comments: