Saturday, January 2, 2010

Fresh Start

Welcome to 2010, bloggers! I for one am 99.9% against New Years' Resolutions, but that .01% is kicking in this year. However, instead of making a resolution, I'm simply making a decision. A decision to be more aware of my impact on the world, mentally and environmentally. So, fashionistas, I hope you join me in a one-step-at-a-time process to consume consciously.

Instead of throwing away your ugly, "I wouldn't wear that if I was in my grave and my left pinky toe was twitching for one last time" frocks, donate them to those less fortunate. I'm sure you thought your ugly sweater was the cats' pajamas at one time or another, so who's to say someone else won't love it now?

We're all guilty of flattening out dollar bills to get some vending machine Poland Spring, but unless you recycle the bottle afterwards, is it really worth it? Try getting a stainless steel water bottle, like a Klean Kanteen (my personal fave!), to cut down on your bottle consumption and give your wallet a break. They even carry insulated mugs now, so you can carry a reusable coffee cup, too (Starbucks gives you a 10 cent discount when you bring in a reusable mug; that adds up!). With the Green Movement, reusable bottles are the new must-have accessory.






If you can, remember to bring a reusable shopping bag to your next trip to the mall. Forever21 and H&M have plenty of gorgeous bags, some so cute that you'll want to use them for more than just shopping! Just think about how many times a year (or a month, for that matter), you go shopping, and how many plastic bags go to waste. One bag reduction at a time can change a lot. I'm in love with this one, from bits+robbins.com.











Finally, if you want to support sustainable living through fashion, check out sustainablechillin.com. A friend of mine from high school started the site with his brother, and I'm sure the site will take off soon enough. Each shirt sold features a different eco-friendly message, and with each shirt purchased, a new tree is planted in the country of your choice, and 5% of all profits are donated to The Human Potential Inc. All of the shirts are $20, and the cause is a great one. Plus, added bonus, the site features some great music while you shop.







Your decision to consume consciously doesn't need to be a huge commitment. Start with one reusable bag, or one less water bottle a day. Make your change one step at a time, and soon enough you'll change the world.

No comments: